Sunday, November 30, 2008

All quiet on the knitting front

All quiet on the knitting front lately. Mainly because I've been busy trying to get M1's blanket finished and the knitting for that has been 20cm black squares - not exactly riveting blog material.

It's been a long time in the making so I'm feeling rather relieved that I am *very almost* finished it.

Yesterday I spent the better part of the day sewing the squares together!! Here's a sneak peek....

PB300034

I have one more row to sew on the bottom , which is just 4 squares (2 of which I actually need to knit), block it and then figure out what I will do around the edges. Any suggestions most welcome...... I don't crochet so I'm thinking maybe I will just pick up and do a centimetre or so of garter stitch in black. Thoughts?

I'm also not sure about backing it. The back side doesn't look too bad except the for the large centre panel is fairaisle so I worry about little fingers. However, given all the other things I need to do before Xmas, I think its perfectly giveable in its current state (once I've put the finishing touches on of course) and I might worry about backing it when things are not so pressured.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is gorgeous! Lucky M1 getting that for Christmas :)

Fresh Tea : said...

Looking so very good!
I like your idea of picking up stitches for the edges, sort of log cabinish style.
Have you thought of buying a nice natural coloured second hand woolen blanket, cutting it to fit and sewing it to the back? We have "Save Mart" here in Wellington and I have brought nice blankets for $5.

Rose Red said...

Having made a knitted blanket myself I know what a big job all that seaming is (let alone the knitting!). Yay you!

I did a knitted on border on mine (garter stitch) - I think it's a really nice finishing touch and frames it nicely. You can check it in my projects on Rav if you like (garter stitch blanket, it's called!)

Anonymous said...

Yay looking great!

Anonymous said...

It looks great! I can't wait to see the finished product. MIL edged Tommy's blanket really nicely in stocking stitch. I will see if I can find a similar pattern :)

Anonymous said...

I will just try to explain how it looks like she did it as I can't (quickly) find a pattern for it...
Pick up stitches along side, stocking stitch for a couple of cms, purl a row, stocking sticth for another couple of centimetres, fold along the purl row and sew down. Hee hee, why did I need to find a pattern to explain that!

sweetp said...

Oh great idea about the wool blanket, gosh it would be super warm then. Will see what I can find. Was also wondering if some sort of merino might be Ok as I would have to handstitch it.

Megan and Rose Red, really helpful thank you xx

Jennynz said...

It looks great! I think I recognise some of the squares...

Julie said...

Blanket is looking great, not long to go now till it's all finished..X

At Home Mommy Knits said...

What a lucky girl! Looks beautiful from here and I can't wait to see it finished off :).

Anonymous said...

It looks like it's going to be gorgeous! I haven't got any more suggestions to add, but I love the idea of backing it with a blanket too.

Anonymous said...

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh can't wait to see the finished product :D