Thursday, November 20, 2008

Beer Bread

Beer bread = yum

I have to admit to not being a bread making Mama. It always seems a daunting process with tricky yeast rising and kneading and I don't have the convenience of a breadmaking machine. However, I saw this recipe on Mariella's blog and thought I would give bread making a try.

I am very pleased to report that this is an easy and totally delicious recipe that even an Un Domestic Goddess such as myself can make!


Beer Bread

3 Cups self raising flour
3 TB sugar
1 bottle of beer (I used a DB Draught stubby)

Make a well in the dry ingredients, pour in beer. Mix well. Bake in a loaf tin at 190C for about an hour.

How easy is that?

DH wasn't super impressed with me using his beer for bread but given that the whole loaf was gone before it had even cooled down I think even Mr Fussy himself gives this the thumbs up. No good for little miss gluten free though.

13 comments:

Rose Red said...

OK - that is so easy even I'm prepared to give it a try. Not sure I've got a bread tin though - must purchase one stat!

Rose Red said...

Oh, one question. What size beer bottle? Stubby or longneck (if you even use those terms in NZ!!)

sweetp said...

Stubby ! Im sure a long neck would work too but maybe you'd need to add a bit more flour if it looked too wet.

Abby said...

I think I'm going to have to try this.

Well, if I can convince the BF to give up one of his bottles of beer (I don't like the stuff...)!

Mary said...

Mmm... sounds good and so easy too!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant...I want to make some now, lol! (Actually I just want to eeeeat some...have to make it forst, darn)

Unknown said...

Yes I've made this before too after watching Te Radar cook some on his BBQ for christmas. We did ours in the BBQ too and it came out delicious, although his recipe had dill in it and we used Speights!

Bells said...

This looks wonderful. same concept as soda bread. I'm trying it!

Marino said...

mmm yours looks scrumptuous!! yep it's a stubbie size bottle to use.

to Rose Red: if you don't have a loaf pan any old pot will do, my Mum makes Maori bread in a old handleless steel steel pot so I figure can do the same with this one. Also if you have any old baked beans tins etc - not the standard size ofcourse, the really big ones, those will do.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. Definately my kind of recipe. Can you guess what I'll be adding to the supermarket trolley this week :-)

Anonymous said...

Guess what we had for dinner tonight :-). Zel only wants home made bread now :-), I know this recipe will get used alot in our house. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I have a loaf in the oven right now. I had to buy a stubby at the supermarket yesterday (they were selling them as singles lol). We very rarely have beer in the fridge anymore - how times have changed! So quick and easy, and I get domestic goddess status for baking bread before going to work ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow - that looks fabulous! I guess the beer provides the yeast? I bought Steve a breadmaking machine for his birthday last month, after resisting getting one for ages. It's been fantastic - the whole family has been taking it in turns to choose recipes and make bread.

I'm definitely going to try your recipe though, my mouth is watering just looking at it!