Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Secret Santa Rethink

The past couple of years I have joined in a Christmas present swap with some online friends. I showed you the lovely Secret Santa present I got in the weekend - its just a present swap not a knitting one but my sender is a knitter too and gifted me some wonderful sock yarn. The deadline for sending is just a couple of days away so I have been busy trying to get the hand made part of my gift finished! I meant to be done by now but you know how it is at this time of year....

Right from the moment I finished my Central Park Hoodie with 150g of leftover wool I have been thinking about the tweedy Bendigo becoming some Dashing fingerless gloves. They seemed such a perfect match - deep browny red with big , ever so slightly manly, cables - knit on smaller needles the yarn knits up dense and soft and cozy and it just seems to go well with large cables for some wintery mitts.

So I decided to do just that for my Secret Santa gift. I was right on the money I think - the yarn and the pattern do great things together and yet...something wasn't *just right*. I did one glove but let it sit for awhile but it didn't grow on me either.

In the end I decided that my hesitation is really around the person I am sending to, not someone I know well or have met in real life and I am just not sure the thick and rugged look of the gloves is going to suit her/be liked. I do a lot of swaps (you might have noticed) but usually I get to ask exactly what the person wants.

Fetching and Dashing

So...... I changed tact, went for pretty violet coloured Merino et Soie and the much more feminine Fetching. My camera has failed dismally to capture the really pretty colour of this yarn (think much more pink in the purple).

I think its a better choice for not really knowing my person's tastes and I'm really pleased with how they turned out. WHen Leah came to stay earlier in the year she showed me her Fetchings and I've pretty much copied them (thanks honey) - gorgeous soft and silky Merino et Soie (which Leah gifted to me too) with an extra cable repeat at the bottom.

Fetching

As for the Dashing glove? Well I got DH to try it on and it fits him perfectly. On me, it's nice but the cable sat on my wrist bone and I didn't like the feel of it and the cable didn't 'open' up much....on DH the fit is snug, the cables open up (like on the pattern page) and it looks like it was made for him. So I'll finish the other and off to my Dashing DH they will go. I'm just pleased everything worked out in the end

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both are nice, and I think the Dashings are particularly gorgeous.

Mary said...

They are both beautiful! She is sure to love it!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Beautiful gloves!! Lovely presents each one.

Aunt Kathy said...

I think you made an excellent choice. And two people are going to be blessed by your awesome knitting skills now.

Claudia Bugh said...

Those both look terrific! I've knit both patterns but am not too happy with my Fetchings because my yarn choice wasn't the best (not enough stretch). Yours looks so pretty and comfortable :)

Unknown said...

Oooooo lovely! I'm thinking of making some of these for a new friend for xmas; yours are very inspiring!

Anonymous said...

I have made both of these, and found the thumb work particularly unsatisfactory; bumpy transition and holey, stretched and yucky at the the picked-up stitch area. How'd you do? (Of course it is so lovely otherwise, and a FREE pattern----gotta love knitty.com!)

Sharon

Anonymous said...

I think they're both gorgeous, but I do agree with you about the Fetchings being a 'safer' bet for someone you haven't met.

Julie said...

They are both lovely, but I have to say I LOVE the violet ones, really pretty colour!!! Looks like you are getting through your to do list, I am in the middle of loads of things. I think I should concentrate on finihsing one thing at a time, then it won't feel so daunting...... X

Rose Red said...

I think you made the right choice with the fetchings - I love the dashing though - might have to give it a whirl for myself next winter!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, the Dashing is gorgeous! I am putting that straight on my ravelry queue! I have big man hands though, so rugged suits me better lol

Bells said...

Oh yeah, good move. I think your instincts were right, but they really are both lovely. Bendigo is great for them. I must destash a bit in the same way!

tash* said...

oh! Fetching! they look fetching! still haven't got around to ordering the yarn for mine yet - really must get onto that. Love the colour :)