Wednesday, May 21, 2008

About Me

Zero knitting content today...

I got tagged by Amanda for a Me meme. Thanks Amanda! You should go check her blog out - she takes the most gorgeous photos and always has the pinkest prettiest Rowan-ist WiPs!

An "about me" kind of post has been something I have been thinking about for awhile. I know I really enjoy finding out some other stuff about the people behind the blogs I read, so I thought I should do one for mine.

So here goes...


1) What was I doing 10 years ago?

I was in my 3rd year of a BSc Hons degree. Somehow managing to live on a pitiful student allowance, waitressing in the weekends and having the time of my life really. I worked and partied hard....fun times!

Back then DH was just a friend!!

You can probably work out how old I am. I went to Uni straight after school.

2) What are 5 things on my to-do list for today (not in any particular order):

Post a parcel, buy some DPNs, return the library books, have a visit at the local playcentre, wash the nappies (its a busy one today)

3) Snacks I enjoy:

Cheese and crackers, coffee, muffins, coffee, chocolate. My favourite at the moment is mandarins.

4) Things I would do if I won the Lottery:

Selfish stuff - travel! Give myself a makeover lol

For Family - set up the kids for University, help out our parents, buy DH's Granny a new house

For Others - I would give some to the charities that we support. Pay for Arias operation.

5) Places I have lived:

Apart from our recent stint in Northland, I have always lived in the South Island of NZ. When I was a teenager I had a trip to Sydney and Fiji, but apart from that I haven't travelled.

6) Jobs I have had:

When I was studying I worked as a waitress, Motel Housekeeper, babysitter, lab tutor and tutor for ESOL students. After graduating I worked in education policy administration and then as a quality assurance auditor (ie nothing remotely connected to my study!). I'm planning on being a SAHM for the forseeable future.

Other things you might not know about me!

All my babies were born at home. Number 3 was super speedy and arrived before the midwife (delivered by her Nan)...my biggest baby (9lb9oz) but the fastest and easiest!

One thing I really miss from my pre-children days is READING!! One day I WILL read again. My favourite authors are Barbara Erskine & Diana Gabaldon. I absolutely loved 'The Time Traveller's Wife' by Audrey Niffennegger and enjoyed the earlier novels by Sharon Penman. I really like historical fiction. One day I would love to travel to the places I have only read about.

I am not a morning person! Don't talk to me until I've had 2 cups of coffee

I learnt to knit when I was about 10 or 11 and knit a couple of big jumpers for myself. I picked it up again when I was pregnant with DD2 and have been getting more and more addicted and obsessed ever since! I like to knit small things! I would really love to try Malabrigo yarn. My favourite (kid stuff) designer is Anny Purls. I also really like Justene Turner, shes a kiwi too. I also like Debbie Bliss. My Mum also knits, I blame her for my current obsession with knitting. She can blame me for getting her addicted to Ravelry.

One thing I have always wanted to try is... rally car driving (or speedway...as long as it's fast I don't mind)

I really need...a haircut!

I really should...drink less coffee

Once winter is over... I'm going to enrol in night classes for Yoga

I'm not really 'into' cooking but I have a bit of a crush on Gordon Ramsay

I miss... my best friend who lives in Adelaide, Australia

Anything else you want to know? Ask me!

Oh actually one thing I get asked alot is 'how do you find the time to knit?' ... I guess the answer is "I make time". I knit in the evenings when the kids are in bed. Mostly the 3 of them are all down by 8pm, sometimes one might be up later but they are usually pretty good playing quietly while I watch them and knit. I have a young baby so my social life is pretty non existent! Knitting is great for keeping an eye on the kids at the same time and isn't too hazardous (unless you leave your WiP within the baby's reach!). You can take it anywhere and it isn't messy so it's pretty kid friendly so there is rarely a day where I don't knit something. If its just plain st st I can usually knit and watch Tv at the same time too!!
Mostly I knit very small things that don't take more than an hour or three and you will notice I don't do lacey or intricate things that I would need to keep reading a pattern for. I have to do things that don't require heaps of concentrating as I do have to pick up/put down quite a bit. Now we are back in the City we are much busier with activities and being able to catch up with friends so I suspect my 'output' will be a bit less now lol. I find knitting to be a really good stress release and something that helps me unwind after a busy day chasing after the kids so I do try and do something each night.

Ok fire away with the questions if you want to know something...

If you're reading this and haven't done an about me on your blog...consider yourself tagged ;)







7 comments:

Sam said...

with my kids at 3, 6 and 9 I'm finding that I'm finally regaining some time to read, and in fact only last month read 'The Time Traveller's Wife' and bawled my eyes out. I love reading these memes it's such an interesting insight into others lives !

sweetp said...

Its a great book isn't it? I think about it often. I look forward to having reading time again...one day :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being so open - I agree, it's really lovely to find more out about the person behind the blog. Your description of life with small children took me right back to when mine were that age - they're now 13 and 15 and parenting is very different now!

Fi said...

Gabes - we have surprisingly alot in common!! Shame you live all the way down there ;)

I too miss reading. A few weekends ago I was totally selfish, ignored my uni stuff and read not one, but 2 (!!!!!!) books. Oooo what a treat :)

Nice to read all about you. :)

sweetp said...

2 books!! That must have been uber lovely!

Maria57 said...

Rally cars or speedway!? Funny how you didn't tell your Mum about that wish!

If you ever get the chance tell me AFTER the event!

Mum XX

Unknown said...

Eek! I tagged you for this too, not realizing you had already done it. Oh well!