I admit to not really 'getting it' at first - why waste perfectly good cotton on dirty old dishes? But I have joined the dishcloth knitting fanclub. Sharonnz will be proud ;)
Here are my top 10 reasons for knitting dishcloths...
- They are QUICK! Couple of hours knitting max (perfect for when you have an attack of startitis)
- They work great, really grippy
- Only use one skein (or less)
- Saves you $ on store bought cloths
- The 3 R's REDUCE (no more plastic wrapping from store bought) REUSE (they last for yonks ) and RECYCLE (i guess if you were super keen you could unpick something and recycle the cotton)
- There are some really neat designs..lacy or picture cloths
- They make nice gifts if you want to make something homemade for someone
- Use them as facewashers instead if they are just too pretty for the sink
- Pretty but functional.
- Bamboo is great for dishcloths too
- Great for beginners because you can pick an easy design but it won't take too long until you have a FO
I really like knittingknonsense for great free dishcloth designs. And this site has loads of links to free patterns.
So here are some I have made. These are picture ones from knittingknonsense, both are made in Moda Vera Luxor cotton which is an aran weight (10ply) thick and glossy cotton which makes a soft and shiny cloth, perfect for showing up the picture designs. The LOVE one was given to my Mum for her birthday and the skully cloth was my half of a swap.
You can also experiment with different stitch patterns and designs (dishcloths are perfect if you want to try something new or tricky just for a little bit).
This cloth is the lacy round pattern and looks more difficult than it actually is (honest). This was made in Moda Vera Bamboo/Cotton. This design is nice in a varigated yarn. Currently washing dishes in my sink!
You don't have to follow a pattern - this one is simply moss/seed stitch. The cotton yarn is Anchor MagicLine 8ply and it is a self striping cotton . I cast on 36st and the stripes came out even.
Next up on my dishcloth to do list is the ballband dishcloth