Saturday, August 30, 2008

New hobby results in zero knitting

Uh-oh new hobby.
P8311513


Fun!! And ever so slightly addictive I feel....
This is last nights efforts
P8311501

I just couldn't stop!! I'm getting in early for Xmas and birthdays :)




The set below is for my sister's birthday. She will be turning 13 and I'm planning on putting together a little knitting bag filled with knitting bits and pieces for her. I'd seen some KNIT PURL SLIP markers somewhere before and thought she would like. I was planning on doing her name or initials as well but I didn't have enough alphabet beads so made her a bling one instead - if she evers gets to knitting in the round she'll have a pretty one for marking the round.
P8311502



I also made a couple of pairs that are possibly going to turn into earrings for Xmas gifts
P8311509
P8311511



And these ones are for me and are made by refashioning some old jewellry. The blue beads were earrings but had horrible earring fastenings so I never wore them - don't they make just gorgeous markers?! The little flower was a necklace pendant I've had for years but really it is too small for me and not really something what I would wear now. And the koru patterned one was from a very special (and expensive) pair of earrings I adored but unfortunately I lost its mate a long time ago. I'm stoked I can still get to use it now, albeit in a completely different way!

P8311507

Clearly I still need some more practice at getting the markers all the same and putting the loopy bit in the right place but I'm pretty pleased with my beginner efforts! I enjoyed making the ones from 'old stuff' the most and found it very satisfying to refashion something unloved from the bottom of the jewellry pile into something beautiful and functional again. I'm on the hunt now for vintage earrings I can restyle!!

Thanks to Neak for inspiring me to give beading a go and for giving me so many helpful tips!

P.S. Photographing glass beads is really really hard!!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Awesome work Gabes. I love how you refashioned old jewelry.

Crafty Wee Wifey said...

oooooo i like them! i thought about making some stitch markers a few days ago, picked out when i wanted from spotlight then decided i just couldn't start a new hobby now, maybe next year :) looks like fun tho.

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwwww Hun they came out awesome well done!!!!! Love them all! yay I see you got the twist worked out too :D and that you understood my ramble lol :D
Neak sits back now and watches the new addiction take hold :P *whistle* lol

Nova said...

gorgeous! the koru ex-earing is my fave! :D heh heh have fun!!

Mary said...

Those are really beautiful, and a great way to recycle too!

Aunt Kathy said...

Nice, very nice. Looks like you are a natural

Anonymous said...

Wow - how beautiful they are! Good for you!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Wow...those are beautiful!

Julie said...

Those are all super cool, I actually made some stitch markers myself last week, it is addicitve you are right. I have already misplaced mine though, well either that or a little miss almost 4 has taken a shine to them.........X

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous. You are so clever :)

Louise said...

Wow, they are lovely! I got ito beading in a big way a few years back and I still have all the pliers etc but I kinda beaded myself out a bit. Looking at these stitch markers, I think I could get back into it though! What do you use for the big ring at the top? Do you make your own ring or use extra large jump-rings?

sweetp said...

Louise, just jump rings. I got some from a bead shop but they kept snagging as they were the overlapping type. These ones I got from Spotlight and they are just a circle with one join which doesnt seem to snag :) WOuld love to see what you make

Unknown said...

That looks like a lot of fun! I love the idea of re-purposing old jewelry and single earrings into stitch markers. Clever SweeptP!

Unknown said...

Oh those are lovely, my dear! Your sister will love them, I'm sure :-)