Saturday, August 23, 2008

My First Socks

P8211436

I made socks!! Yup....Socks!! I finally did the whole "heel flap, turn the heel, graft the toe" thing. I am insanely proud of these. The fact that little miss refuses to wear them doesn't dampen my enthusiasm and love for my first EVER sock FO.

They may be in DK and knit on 4mm and they may be toddler size but socks are socks...right?

I actually kind of liked knitting these much to my own surprise. No 2nd sock syndrome here, these cute little things only took a night and a bit each. My entry into the Ravelympics SockPut and my first foray into learning about sock anatomy.
There are a few mistakes that show these socks were handmade with lots of love (lots of lessons learnt about tension while slipping stitches and picking up with no holes) but N2 hasn't noticed.

And look they fit even....

P8211435

The yarn is from this stash and dyed by me in lavender shades of purple and green. The pattern I used is this one - the top down toddler version with a couple of mistakes modifications to make them slightly bigger for an almost 3yo (14cm).

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Gabes! You'll be knitting them up for swaps in no time :-) They look awesome.

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwwwww way cool!!! now my niece refuses to take the socks off I knitted her lol whats teh trick to getting the rib at the tops so nice mine is yuck looking on the ones I knitted :S

Sharonnz said...

Look! There's even TWO of them...well done for avoiding Second Sock Syndrome. They're purty.

sweetp said...

Neak..no idea :D Just usual rib, I just tried to keep it tight when moving between the dpns.

Unknown said...

Congrats on your first socks! Are you thinking about making more? It can be addictive...Love the colors in your yarn-well done!

Aunt Kathy said...

I learned socks too on toddler socks made with DK yarn. So much easier then trying to figure it all out with that think fragile sock yarn, lol

They look great.

Heart Felt said...

They are lovely, Charlie will only wear his hand knitted socks when he gets up in the morning, they kind of act as slippers. Well done! xx

NeverNotKnitting said...

Very nice work on your first pair of socks! Little socks are the best to learn on!

Anonymous said...

See now you'll be addicted! Well done!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, they're just adorable! I loved them in the first photo, but seeing them on your little one's feet, they are too scrummy for words!